Posts related to 2020 Loop cancellation:
If all was right with the world we would be gathering in the meadow field tomorrow morning with no thoughts of social distancing.
In fact we would be high-fiving and embracing each other while soaking in the uniquely beautiful energy of the Leatherman’s Loop.
But all is not right.
You need to know that I understand how special the Loop is to many of you and that I will do everything possible to bring it back in all of its glory next year.
William Stafford opens his poem THE WAY IT IS with the lines “There is a thread you follow. It goes among things that change. But it doesn’t change.”
The spirit of the Loop has been stitched together from year to year by a delicate thread. That spirit has been driven deep into the mud and lives there. It is carried in the air by the playful music of the Mariachi band and the wonderful drone of the bagpipes. It’s in the streams and the pine forests It was with us when Atka the wolf refused to howl to start the race. And when Tiokasin Ghosthorse played his sacred cedar flute. And most certainly when Theo Harris sang Amazing Grace just six days after Boston.
The Stafford poem ends with the lines “Nothing you do can stop time’s unfolding. You don’t ever let go of the thread.”
Judy, Rob, Danny, and I promise to hold our end of that spirit thread until we can once again gather in the field. I hope that you all have the other end.
Danny has offered to share his thoughts and his wisdom about the Loop and our current situation. To hear what he has to say click on this link.
My plans for Sunday are to listen to the blessing and head out into local trails.
Posts related to 2020 Loop cancellation:
We would like to put together an album of Loops past with your help. Here’s how to contribute:
- Check in the albums below for the past years you have run in the loop. Visit those albums and try to find photos of you or people you know at the Loop – pre-race, during the race, post-race, or any kind of prep work you were involved in as a volunteer.
- Download the photo(s) to your phone or computer and name it for the year and loop subject (so you can find it later!)
- Then post it to Instagram and/or Facebook
- Be sure to tag the Leatherman Harriers with hashtag #leathermansloop and the Loop year. Include a caption if you’d like. Also include a tribute if you’d like.
- We will take these and feature them on the Leatherman’s Loop page in the week following the planned day of the 2020 Loop — April 26.
You may not even know you have been caught in a photo at the Loop – for example – check these selected albums from the last 7+ years:
- 2012 at the extra water crossing (aka “Sullivan’s Surprise” which was only part of the Loop for two years) – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2012/Sullivans-surprise-tom-casper/
- 2013 at the meadow start – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2013/Tom-Casper-Start-of-Loop-2013/
- Many photos at 2013 loop – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2013/David-Gordon-2013-Loop/
- Splashdown at 2013 Loop – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2013/Gretchen-Menzies-Loop-2013/
- Splashdown at 2014 Loop – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2014/2014-Michelle-Blum-Splashdown/
- At the Loop starting line 2015 – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2015/Starting-Line-Elevated-Camera/
- Overhead drone footage of Loop 2015 in various spots on the course – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2015/Tom-Anckner-Drone-Footage/
- 2015 Loop Photos – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2015/Zoe-Wegener-Photos/
- A bunch of time lapse videos from 2015 – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2015/Time-Lapse-Project/
- 2016 First water crossing – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2016/Hailey-Ivey-Photos/First-Crossing/
- Many 2016 photos – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2016/Carol-Gordon-Photos
- 2017 at the Loop – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2017/Michael-Graham-Folder/2017-Michael-Graham-PreLoop/
- 2017 Start of Loop – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2017/Ciorsdan-Conran-Folder/2017-Ciorsdan-Conran-Race-Start/
- Just after the start in the woods in 2017 – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2017/Bram-Wegener-Folder/2017-Bram-Wegener-Fox-Hill-Trail/
- A bunch of photos that runners uploaded in 2018 – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2018/Runner-Uploads-2018/
- Just a funny video – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2018/Alan-meet-ground/
- Many photos from 2018 Loop – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2018/Diane-Bradsell-2018/
- More 2018 photos – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2018/Bill-Crawford-2018/
- A lot of great 2018 Loop photos – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2018/Pentax-K30-camera/
- Near the finish line in 2018 – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2018/Ciorsdan-Conran-Folder/Ciorsdan-Conran-2018-Finish/
- Thousands of Splashdown photos in 2019 – you have to be in here if you ran in 2019! – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2019/Sawyer-Cummings-Albums/Sawyer-Cummings-2019-Splashdown/
- Exiting splashdown in 2019 – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2019/Ted-Erkkila-2019-Album
- Many photos in 2019 – https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2019/Tom-Casper-2019-Albums
- Some of our favorite older photos: https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/Favorites
Below is a list of charities that the Loop has supported in the past and hopes to to support again this year using our runner’s 2020 entry fees from the cancelled Loop.
- The Emergency Shelter Partnership
- New Dawn Family Services (call 914.977.3021 or 911 in emergency. Donations are needed and welcome http://PayPal.me/NewDawnFRC, email contact newdawnFRCinfo@gmail.com)
- Community Center of Northern Westchester
- Lewisboro Volunteer Ambulance Corps
- Friends of Trailside Museum
- The Lanfair Scholarship (Teachers scholarship)
These are two additional organizations that are focused on helping to serve community needs related to the pandemic we are considering supporting this year.
In addition to these listed above, we will be seeking out additional local or partnered organizations to help meet needs and hardships related to the pandemic. And we hope to support other groups dedicated to the health and well-being of our fellow citizens.
Thank you for your trust in our ability to take a negative and help make it a positive with your help and contribution.
The COVID-19 pandemic has the potential for catastrophic effects within our communities, our country and our world. All efforts at this time are needed to help ourselves and each other get through this crisis. The Leatherman’s Loop has always been a celebratory event — but this is not a time for celebration.
There will not be a Loop this year — No postponement, no virtual race, no rolling registrations forward to next April. All of our focus and efforts at this time should be directed towards what we can do to help each other get through this.
For me, and for the first time ever the Loop seems small and insignificant in light of what may lie ahead for all of us. All of my efforts this year will be focused on what I can do and what the Loop can do to ease the hardships that will most certainly come up in the days and months to come.
Thirty-three years of allowing the spirit of the Leatherman’s Loop to unfold has led to this crossroads. That spirit has always been fueled by you the participants. You are the only “sponsors” that the event has ever had.
Uncertainty now puts the future of the Loop in your hands. Your generosity is needed to keep the Leatherman’s Loop solvent — but more importantly to raise funds for charitable donations to local organizations that will be serving the needs of our communities during this crisis.
All registrants will be given the option to donate your entry fee or have us refund entry fees and shirt purchases. Before you make your choice, why not scroll down to view the selection of photos and videos from the race. I guarantee that your spirits will be lifted.
I had planned to offer these words from Rumi at the start this year:
“Between ideas of right doing and wrong doing there is a field – I will meet you there.”Rumi
God willing we will meet like that once again in the field next year. Please know that I see each of you as examples of the very best that humanity has to offer.
PS: Please make your choice either via the email you receive from us via RunSignup.com or visit Runsignup.com/loop and look up your entry via the email address you used. If you do not make a choice by April 4, 2020 we will assume you are choosing to donate your entry fee and we thank you.
Please contact us at leathermansloop.org/contact-us if you have questions.
Everything related to COVID-19 is happening quickly — and based on the CDC guidance against public gatherings over 50 people, we are postponing the 2020 Leatherman’s Loop.
This is new to all of us and we thank you for your patience while we come up with a workable plan to move forward.
Our venue host, the Westchester County Parks Department, must agree to any date changes before we move forward. This can take time as they have many other things going on right now related to the pandemic — and race logistics might understandably not be their highest priority.
We will offer runners choices which will be flexible. But we are not currently ready to announce a plan. When we are we will send an email update and post a website update with clear alternatives and instructions.
We anticipate having information about our plan out by March 26 if not sooner.
We are all in this together — and we know that runners in our Loop family will understand and respect our determination to put on a safe race.
Take care, stay well, and hope to see you on the trails!
….. Tony, Judy, Rob, and the Loop volunteers
Don’t let your chance to participate in the 34th Leatherman’s Loop fly by. The loop lottery closes at midnight on Tuesday January 14th.
Check out the video and photos which capture the unique spirit of the loop.
The 2017 Loop video trailer above features some highlights from Loop videos made in 2002, 2004, 2005, 2011, and 2015 (2). Thanks to Dean Leggiero, Rob Cummings, John Cummings, Jr., Mitch Stein, Wilderness Bob, Christy Cuomo, Tom Anckner, and a few others for taking the videos. The short 3 minute video features Griffin “Buck” Farro, Danny Martin, Madison Haller, the Albertus Magnus girls track team, Kate Paletta, Hernando Munoz, Joe Stanley, Tom Nohilly, Kerry Arsenault, Stan “Leatherman” Telega, Bob Goldblatt, Tony Godino, and many of the runners of the Loop in those years.
More stories, race reports, photos, and videos can be found here:
Loop Lottery 2020 Open!
Registration for Loop Lottery is open from January 10, 2020 at 12:00am until January 14, 2020 at 11:59pm.
If you have any problem or issue, please contact us BEFORE the Loop Lottery closes!
Please mark your calendars with these two dates: January 10th and April 26th!
The 34th Running of the Leatherman’s Loop will be on Sunday, April 26, 2020 at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Cross River, NY.
The Leatherman’s Loop Lottery will open at 12:00am Friday, January 10th, 2020 and close Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at midnight — 5 full days total.
You must sign up for the Lottery to get into the Loop.
We will send out an email reminder about the Loop Lottery in late December. If you want to be on our email list for future notifications enter your email address here.
We encourage you to sign up for the Loop Lottery as early as possible after it opens in January so you don’t forget. Once it is closed we won’t accept any new lottery entrants.
We promise that (based on lottery history) most of you will get in as long as you sign up during the five day window.
To sign up, visit the Leatherman’s Loop website during the lottery registration period (1/10/2020-1/14/2020) and there will be links to the registration site.
Runners who sign up for the Loop Lottery will be asked to enter their credit card information but will not be charged for entering the Loop Lottery. Runners who are selected in the Loop Lottery will have their cards charged on January 17.
- After the Loop Lottery entry closes on Tuesday, January 14th we will have the drawing for winners on or just after Friday, January 17th.
- Those selected runners who won a spot will be notified of their Loop entries by email.
- Credit cards will be charged on 1/17/2020 automatically if a runner is selected in the Loop Lottery.
- Those not selected will be notified of the bad news by email as well.
- Any runners who do not complete their lottery registration before the January 14th deadline cannot join in the lottery after then.
- If you need to withdraw your name from the Loop Lottery, you must do so BEFORE midnight on Thursday, January 16, 2020. After then all entries are final.
- Please put firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com in your address book so our emails to you about the Loop Lottery are not marked as spam.
Runners can enter the lottery as part of a group. Each person from the group must register (or have someone register them) in the lottery. Runners can add their group name during lottery registration.
We have put together a list of frequently asked questions about the Loop Lottery. It addresses questions about group lottery entry, duplicate registrations, t-shirt purchasing, and other questions you might have. If you are one of the runners who completed the 2019 Trail Mix Trail Series by finishing 4 or more races in that series, then you are eligible for automatic selection in the Loop Lottery – Congratulations! We will offer the same benefit next year for runners completing the 2020 Trail Mix! Click the link for more information about the races — sign up for Trail Mix Reminder Emails here.
If you do not hear from us via email on January 17th or just afterwards, please contact us right away at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can follow up. You can also check the Loop website for a list of runners selected in the Loop Lottery (will be updated after lottery selections are made).
We are interested in making the lottery as simple and hassle-free as possible. Hopefully your Loop Lottery registration takes less time than reading this guide! We appreciate any feedback or thoughts you have and can share with us.
Thanks! See you on the trails…
-Tony, Judy, Rob, and the Leatherman Harriers
PS: If you are interested in training on the trails with a group of enthusiastic trail runners of all abilities, check out our club site at sundayruns.org and come out one Sunday morning at 8am and join in a group run. We run the trails all year round and always welcome new runners!
PPS: We announced the 2020 Trail Mix Trail Series lineup in January. Hope you consider completing the series in 2020 with at least four and hopefully more races by the end of 2020.
PPPS: The John Jay Community 5k Trail Race is also in Cross River, NY just about 2 miles from the meadow start of the Loop. This year will mark the 3rd running of this trail race which has similar terrain to the Loop and is held one week before it on Sunday, April 19, 2020. Registration is open now at runsignup.com/jjtrail.
The 5th annual Raven Rocks Run 10k trail race is on Sunday, November 10th starting at 9 a.m. at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Cross River, NY.
If you have already registered, thanks!
See you at the Rez!
If you are not sure if you have registered — or you want to check on a friend or family member — you can confirm registration status here: https://runsignup.com/Race/RegistrationLookup/?raceId=25402
In order to make sure your shirt size is available we recommend pre-ordering a race shirt with your registration. We do order a limited number of extra shirts — but your size may not be available if you wait to buy one at the event.
Registered runners will receive a logistics note before race day. Note is available here and we will send a quick update with links closer to the races.
See you on the trails!
….. Rob Cummings and the Raven Rocks volunteers
- Check the Trail Mix website for Men’s and Women’s standings including the first four Trail Mix Series races. If there are any errors please let us know so we can fix them.
- Keep an eye on our Facebook page if you are interested in our weekly Sunday morning group trail runs including tentative course checks before our races. Reply to this note via email or Follow us on Facebook if you want course check updates.