Leatherman’s Loop founders note
Twenty seven years ago Dave Cope and I put on the first Leatherman’s Loop race. We greeted the ninety runners who trusted that we knew what we were doing and showed up to race our course. Trail running races in those days were few and far between and necessitated long drives and early starts. It pleases me to see that interest in running and racing on non-paved surfaces has really taken hold. At the bottom of this note I will list five trail races in Westchester and Fairfield counties which are coming up this fall.
The team of organizers and directors (currently Rob and Mike and Judy and Tony) who bring you the Leatherman’s Loop each year have no big changes in mind. Four years ago we added the Run the Farm five miler and as of right now, we have no plans to add any additional races. By choice, both races have always been and will continue to be staged without any corporate sponsorship. That being said, you the runners cover all expenses through your entry fees and we still are able to make generous charitable donations.
My fall running plans are to participate in all five of the races listed below. My hope is that many of you will choose to join me.
Where the Pavement Ends
Lake Windwing Ridgefield Ct.
4 miles mostly single track
Sarah Bishop Bushwhack
Leatherman Harriers Sunday Runners
Mountain Lakes Park North Salem N.Y.
10K mostly single track
1.5 mile kids race
Paine to Pain
New Ro Runners
Thomas Paine cottage New Rochelle N.Y.
13.1 miles with some pavement
Run the Farm
Muscoot Farm Somers N.Y.
5 miles all trails
1.1 miles for kids 7 through 12
0.6 miles for kids 6 and younger
Back Country Bushwhack
Threads and Treads
Camp Simmons Greenwich Ct.
4 miles with water crossings
Further reading in the Founder’s Newsletter series, published at uncertain dates with a flexible schedule not known in advance…
- View Volume 1 of the Founder’s Newsletter “Humble Beginnings” (2010 edition)
- View Volume 2 of the Founder’s Newsletter “The 25th Loop” (2011 edition)
- View Volume 3 of the Founder’s Newsletter “The Future Looks Bright” (2012 edition)
- View Volume 4 of the Founder’s Newsletter “A Trail Racing Plan” (2013 edition)
- View Volume 5 of the Founder’s Newsletter “Trail Mix – New Trail Series” (2014 edition)
- View Volume 6 of the Founder’s Newsletter “The Loop Lottery / Danny Martin” (early 2016 edition)
- View Volume 7 of the Founder’s Newsletter “Seeing the Loop Through Tony’s Eyes” (late 2016 edition)
- View Volume 8 of the Founder’s Newsletter “Mixed bag of Loop stuff from Tony” (2017 edition)