Lots of people post their race day photos on instagram and tag them with #leathermansloop. Check out these photos if you can – and many more at our SmugMug albums. Can anyone think of other tags? Let’s take over #splashdown in April and add some more beauty to #beautybeforeme — and of course tag your photos with #trailmixseries to share the love!
We have completed the 2019 Loop Lottery selections and emails are headed out to lucky runners! You can check your lottery status here: https://runsignup.com/Race/RegistrationLookup/?raceId=5968
If you don’t get an email from us today (January 18), please check your spam folder.
For information about the 33rd running of the Leatherman’s Loop, please check back in at our website at http://leathermansloop.org. You can also follow us on facebook facebook.com/leathermansloop or Twitter twitter.com/leathermansloop.
For winter and spring training and trail maps check http://sundayruns.org – rain or snow or shine we run the trails on Sundays!
Thanks for your support and — See you on the trails!
The Leatherman’s Loop Lottery 2019 has CLOSED.
We will hold the drawing this Friday, January 18th, 2019.
We are not taking any more lottery entrants.
- Runners who are selected in the lottery will be notified on Friday, January 18th.
- Runners not selected will also be notified on the same day.
- Runners not selected will be placed on a wait list.
- If you are not selected and you wish to opt out of the wait list, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can search to check whether you, a friend, or family member, are registered in the Loop Lottery at this link.
- We wish everyone luck for the drawing!
If you have any questions, please let us know via our contact form.
Don’t let your chance to participate in the 33rd Leatherman’s Loop fly by. The loop lottery closes at midnight on Tuesday January 15th.
Check out the video and photos which capture the wonderful spirit of the loop.
The 2017 Loop video trailer above features some highlights from Loop videos made in 2002, 2004, 2005, 2011, and 2015 (2). Thanks to Dean Leggiero, Rob Cummings, John Cummings, Jr., Mitch Stein, Wilderness Bob, Christy Cuomo, Tom Anckner, and a few others for taking the videos. The short 3 minute video features Griffin “Buck” Farro, Danny Martin, Madison Haller, the Albertus Magnus girls track team, Kate Paletta, Hernando Munoz, Joe Stanley, Tom Nohilly, Kerry Arsenault, Stan “Leatherman” Telega, Bob Goldblatt, Tony Godino, and many of the runners of the Loop in those years.
More stories, race reports, photos, and videos can be found here:
Loop Lottery 2019 Open!
Registration for Loop Lottery is open from January 11, 2019 at 12:00am until January 15, 2019 at 11:59pm.
If you have any problem or issue, please contact us BEFORE the Loop Lottery closes!
Please mark your calendars with these two dates: January 11th and April 28th!
The 33rd Running of the Leatherman’s Loop will be on Sunday, April 28, 2019 at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Cross River, NY.
The Leatherman’s Loop Lottery will open at 12:00am Friday, January 11th, 2018 and close Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at midnight — 5 full days total.
You must sign up for the Lottery to get into the Loop.
We will send out an email reminder about the Loop Lottery in late December. If you want to be on our email list for future notifications enter your email address here.
We encourage you to sign up for the Loop Lottery as early as possible after it opens in January so you don’t forget. Once it is closed we won’t accept any new lottery entrants.
We promise that (based on lottery history) most of you will get in as long as you sign up during the five day window.
To sign up, visit the Leatherman’s Loop website during the lottery registration period (1/11/2019-1/15/2019) and there will be links to the registration site.
Runners who sign up for the Loop Lottery will be asked to enter their credit card information but will not be charged for entering the Loop Lottery. Runners who are selected in the Loop Lottery will have their cards charged on January 18.
- After the Loop Lottery entry closes on Tuesday, January 15th we will have the drawing for winners on or just after Friday, January 18th.
- Those selected runners who won a spot will be notified of their Loop entries by email.
- Credit cards will be charged on 1/18/2019 automatically if a runner is selected in the Loop Lottery.
- Those not selected will be notified of the bad news by email as well.
- Any runners who do not complete their lottery registration before the January 15th deadline cannot join in the lottery after then.
- If you need to withdraw your name from the Loop Lottery, you must do so BEFORE midnight on Thursday, January 17, 2019. After then all entries are final.
- Please put email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org in your address book so our emails to you about the Loop Lottery are not marked as spam.
Runners can enter the lottery as part of a group. Each person from the group must register (or have someone register them) in the lottery. Runners can add their group name during lottery registration.
We have put together a list of frequently asked questions about the Loop Lottery. It addresses questions about group lottery entry, duplicate registrations, t-shirt purchasing, and other questions you might have.
If you do not hear from us via email on January 18th or just afterwards, please contact us right away at email@example.com so we can follow up. You can also check the Loop website for a list of runners selected in the Loop Lottery (will be updated after lottery selections are made).
We are interested in making the lottery as simple and hassle-free as possible. Hopefully your Loop Lottery registration takes less time than reading this guide! We appreciate any feedback or thoughts you have and can share with us.
Thanks! See you on the trails…
-Tony, Judy, Rob, and the Leatherman Harriers
PS: If you are interested in training on the trails with a group of enthusiastic trail runners of all abilities, check out our club site at sundayruns.org and come out one Sunday morning at 8am and join in a group run. We run the trails all year round and always welcome new runners!
PPS: There will be an announcement about the 2019 Trail Mix Trail Series in January.
Loop Lottery begins 1/11/19 at 12:00am
Do you want to know how to guarantee your selection in the Leatherman’s Loop 2019 Lottery this coming January? Simply compete in FOUR or more of the SEVEN Trail Mix Series races in 2018.
If you ran in the 2018 Loop in April you are 1/4 of the way there already! If you ran both the Loop and A Mild Sprain, you are already halfway there. If you have completed no races in the series to date in 2018 you can still run in 4 of the 5 remaining Trail Mix 2018 Series races and qualify for the series and Loop Lottery selection. See below for dates and links…
Check these upcoming Trail Mix races (and some other favorite races of ours):
Trail Mix Series 2018 races:
- Where the Pavement Ends 4.25M Trail Race (9/16) – Trail Mix Race #3
- Sarah Bishop Bushwhack 10k Trail Race (9/30) – Trail Mix Race #4
- Paine to Pain Half Marathon Trail Race (10/7) – Trail Mix Race #5
- Run The Farm 5M Trail Race (10/21) – Trail Mix Race #6
- Raven Rocks Run 10k Trail Race (11/11) – Trail Mix Race #7
Other Local Races:
- For a broad curated list of trail races from Virginia through New England, check this list from Essex Running Club member and Leatherman Harrier Muddiest Runner Chris Jaworski here: http://sundayruns.org/races
Last but not least – join us on our SundayRuns.org club website — we do group trail runs throughout the year Sunday mornings at 8am, Locations are available on the site calendar.
Congratulations to the Leatherman’s Loop Class of 2018 “Muddiest Runners” — 47 very muddy trail runners who are now able to call themselves M.U.D.
They achieved this by completing SEVEN Loops as of 2018. They join over 460 other runners who are at or above this milemud marker.
See the entire list of Muddiest Runners here: http://leathermansloop.org/history/muddiest-runners/
….and congratulations to the 47 runners below for earning their muddy stripes in 2018!:
Louis De Chiara
The next step — 10 or more Loops — gets you the coveted “Red Stripe Bib” whenever you run the Loop in the future.
20 or more Loops gets your tenure as your bib number — unless you already have a favored number already designated.
Don’t forget to register for the Fall races in the Trail Mix Series — completing the series gets you automatic Loop Lottery selection in January 2019 when you enter the lottery! See you on the trails!
In 2018 the team was out in force snapping away on the literally picture perfect Loop morning. Since 2009 we have organized a team of volunteer photographers to take photos and sometimes video. That’s 10 YEARS for some of these die-hard photographers! You know what that means: the 10 year veterans are highlighted in RED!
Below are the photographer names and the locations they took photos at in 2018 along with links to their albums online. Some are broken up into different albums if they moved around to different spots:
- Carol Gordon took her usual wonderful photos pre-race, at the start of the race, at Kimberly Bridge, and Post-Loop photos.
- Ciorsdan Conran took pre-race photos, more at the start of the Loop, got more photos just up the hill from Splashdown, took photos after the Loop, and even produced a Splashdown Go Pro video.
- Chris Reinke covered the Mud Flats for his 9th straight year. Chris was prepared with waders for Loop day, but apparently needed sneaker detectors as multiple runners lost shoes right in front of him.
- John Cummings took photos around the start and of the start.
- Bram Wegener took pre-Loop photos, photos of runners at around the 1/2 mile mark near the playground, got tons of wet photos, and had great post-Loop shots.
- Rob Cummings took photos running the 2018 Loop, photos of the starting lineup, post-Loop, and took Loop Prep photos from the days before the event. Bonus: Post-Loop Jeff Main performing The Leatherman Song solo.
- Thank you to the many runners have uploaded photos via our Runner Uploads link.
- If YOU took photos or video, please let us know. You can upload your photos and video clips to the Runner Uploads album (view 2018 album here).
If you took A LOT of photos, drop us a line and we will create a separate album for your photos that you can upload directly to. If you already have a photo album online (Flickr, SmugMug, 500px, Instagram, Google/Picasa, etc.), send us a link!
Some of our photographers from the Loop:
A quick message to Loop runners:
- Danny Martin did a great post on his personal site after the Loop. We highly recommend you give it a read when you have a few minutes.
- John Stockbridge took a video at the start of the Loop and we have posted it to our photo/video archive site here: https://leathermansloop.smugmug.com/2018/John-Stockbridge-2018/i-xvsJPtL/A. If you were there it will serve as a reminder. If you missed the Loop, John captured Danny’s blessing and Jeff Main’s song at the start.
- We were thrilled that LoHud.com/Journal News correspondent Nancy Haggerty wrote an article in the Journal News about the Loop this year in the April 24, 2018 edition. Not only did she write the article, she also took video and edited it to supplement and expand on her article.
- Thanks also to Jeff Main for his inspirational song “The Leatherman” that he sang to launch us all onto the trail. Here’s the original performance and version in 2012. Jeff has since added a final verse.
….Tony, Judy, Rob, and the Leatherman Harriers Volunteers